Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Two thirds life size

Until seeing them up close, I never realized how tiny figure skaters are. Sasha Cohen weighs about 80 lbs. Jamie Sale was next to me at breakfast today and was like a perfect miniature. Tanith
Belbin was the closest to normal human size of the three I've seen in person, but I think they could all squeeze into Barbie clothes. Yesterday I learned from writer Jim Thompson how much punishment their bodies endure. Landing from a jump can exert a force ten times their weight upon their frame. There's no cushioning in the skate, so the impact can damage their ankles, feet, knees, and hip. And it often does. I was shocked to hear of all the surgery and hip replacements performed. That's why Tara Lipinski only competed in one Olympics. Heck, she was just a young teenager. I'll never watch the competition the same way again. Think I'll also cease performing my triple toe loop triple lutz combo. But I think I'll retain my Hamill Camel.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bill,
You are doing an excellent job in Torinno. We are all very proud of you.
I trust you are having a "fun" time too.
be well,
Scott Linder

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home